- Encounters is a community of women of faith looking for more and is an initiative supported by the Australian Ursulines.
- Encounters provides an opportunity to meet with other women to explore matters of faith in life and daily living.
- Encounters is grounded in the Gospel and seeks to find the Divine in every day.
- The Encounters Gatherings:
- meet people where they are
- are life giving, nourishing, supportive and empowering
- are invitational
- provide a safe space
- balance input, reflection, conversation and companionship
- The topics for each Encounters gathering are drawn from areas of faith and spirituality that connect with daily life and our social and cultural reality, the choice of which is also guided by listening to the Encounters participants
"Encounters ..." offers experiences to support women who are exploring questions of meaning and purpose, of faith and spirituality, and who have a desire to live their faith dynamically in the reality of their cultural and social context. The image of Encounter draws on the many transformative encounters we discover in both the Gospel and the Old Testament, encounters which become a turning point for someone in their understanding of the mystery of God, of what Jesus was offering, or of their personal life journey alone and with others.
Each of us has our own "Encounter moments" which either propel or nudge us along in our faith journey. These encounters may be with another person, a dimension of ourselves, an event, an experience in the natural world, with our own life experience, or with the mystery we name as God.
Encounters gatherings currently take place online over Zoom. During 2021 we are exploring Encounters with HOPE. There are two more opportunities to gather before the end of the year in September and November.
Contact: If you are interested in finding out more about Encounters,
Some comments from recent participants:
The feeling of companionship and sharing story with women from a variety of life experiences. Connecting with strangers and realising that we are so similar in our desire for connection and peace on earth.
Great to speak with like-minded people after not having this stimulation (or rarely over COVID). I really appreciated the relaxed way in which the session was run, everyone would have felt very connected. Conversation in breakout sessions with one other were very insightful.
To be connected to the many women who are like me wanting to find a way to give meaningfully to the community.
It was lovely to gather with a variety of people... some of whom I would never have met in an Encounters group or any other. In this time of Covid, Encounters and the Zoom platform provide a welcome opportunity to gather and share.
Being able to engage with one other person then hear the reflections of the larger group.
It stimulated the discussion and added another dimension to the sharing experience.
Quiet time for reflection...